Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Obsessive Cherry Blossom Photos

Before Devon went up to Georgetown and my first Labor Day trip to visit him, I had only been on Washington, DC once in eighth grade and absolutely fell in love with it. I've always dreamed of living there and for a while even wanted to go to Georgetown for medical school during my I-want-to-be-a-doctor phase in high school. I'm pretty sure these are the only reasonably cute pictures from that entire trip...




Ohhhh middle school.


Friday

I got into the Washington-Reagan Airprot at about 8:30PM. I was starved as I had been traveling for a few hours and hadn't really had time to get some food so we snagged a little something to eat. The only problem: the most convenient place to eat at that hour that was inexpensive and close was a fast food restaurant. Yes, I committed the cardinal sin of health. Gross. I got a Ranch BLT which was probably a rat burger but it hit the spot nonetheless. Afterwards, I checked into my hotel and we watched some TV for a while until Devon left since he had an early morning of football. I got ready for bed and got some much-needed sleep.

Saturday

I woke up early (and by early, I mean by college standards... 8AM) and got ready to explore Georgetown. That's always one of my favorite parts. I love to look around the neighborhood and all along dreamy M Street at the shops and even peeked in the window of Georgetown Cupcake!
Georgetown Cupcake.. adorable!

(Not my picture) A professional picture of M Street... with my favorite spot to grab a chai tea, the giant Barnes and Noble!

After a little while of walking around, I went to the Georgetown campus to meet up with Devon when he got out of football practice. After he showered and since we were both famished, we went to get a mid-afternoon meal at The Tombs. Definitely a Georgetown staple!

Waiting for our food
It's underground and has very basic but delicious food. My favorite meal is the soup and sandwich: grilled cheese and cream of tomato soup. Especially on a rainy day like that, it hit the spot! After walking around a little before it started to pour again, we went back to campus and watched some Hulu (aka our favorite way to 'watch TV' together via Skype while we're apart). Being a football player and a boy, Devon was already hungry again less than three hours after our meal at The Tombs so we went to the cafeteria for some food.  That evening we met up with a lot of the other football guys and watched the UConn vs. UK (thank GOODNESS UConn won!) Final Four game and hung out afterwards. It was so much fun to hang out with all of them, they're all such fun guys! :D

Sunday

Because the rainy, cold weather on Saturday, we did not get to go downtown to see those beautiful cherry blossoms so we had to go on Sunday! We went to breakfast and hit the metro. Once we walked out of the Smithsonian station, I immediately saw the first cherry blossom tree


and the Capitol!


Now, I'd like to note that before our walk down to the Capitol that day, this is the closest Devon had ever been to the Capitol. I know, right?! He lives there! Regardless, as we kept walking, the views got better and better!

Complete with protesters
and so of course we got a little touristy..



Also semi-posing with the protesters.
We got such a kick out of the protesters and how passionate they were. They were in qute the heated debate with some passersby while we were walking around the vicinity. (We were careful not to get too close!)  While walking down toward the Jefferson Memorial, we got a little hungry so we got a hot dog from one of the vendors. I usually avoid this type of street food, but it ended up being delish!

Lots of mustard! :)
 We finally made it to the center of the whole event... the Mecca of cherry blossoms!

Starting to get overcast by the Washington Monument
The beginning of the cherry blossom walk

 



And then came the tree photos... climbing into this tree was quite the feat. So many people were dong cute tree pictures but I may have picked the wrong one! I could barely fit! So ignore the awkward leg placement in these..



Devon got a little artsy with the Monument in the background ;)
He was such a good sport to be the photographer! He knew how excited I was to see these beautiful trees! We strolled along with waterside area and got some more cute photos!

I wasn't aware I had a 1970s setting on my camera?

My handsome boyfriend!
 We had a lovely afternoon walking around, chatting and enjoying the (very crowded) festival! I'm glad I could get him out of his Georgetown bubble! Soon though, it was time to get me to the airport as I had to catch my flight back to Florida!  We took the metro to the airport and had to say goodbye. Luckily (or maybe not so luckily) I'm getting more used to having to leave him so goodbye's have gotten exponentially easier than our first goodbye on July 29, 2010. I will see him again in a few weeks so it won't be too bad.. 

I was exhausted at the airport so I grabbed some Vitamin Water to perk me up!


It was very yummy and gave me the little energy boost I needed and I came back to Home Sweet Gainesville. 

All-in-all it was a lovely trip and in just twenty-two days, my friend Francesca and I will return for Georgetown Day and a little vacation before Summer A begins at UF!  This gives me something to look forward to and the separation a little more bearable.  Hope you had a great weekend as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment