Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Designing Dilemma

In just a few short weeks, I will be OUT of the dorms and into an apartment. I'm looking very forward to it for many different reasons. I love my cozy (and by cozy I mean tiny) dorm room because it's my little home but it's time for more space. I will finally have a full kitchen and my own bathroom and closet. Not to mention, bedroom! I'm so excited!  The biggest reason I'm excited, though, is I get to design my room! I've never been able to do this before. I mean, I got to pick out some pieces for my dorm room an the bedding and all but this time, I have to get furniture and everything! My mother always gave us a little pick of maybe which bedding or a little bit on the colors but for the most part, she was the designing honcho in our household. This is probably good because if it had been up to me during my tweenage years, I would have probably had a room similar to this


I know, yuck. So now that I think I'm mature enough to have better discretion on what is stylish and sophisticated, I am trying to figure out the total design of my new space! Every room I have ever had has had blue and yellow in it

For example, my dorm room right now...
so I'm trying to stray away from that combination. So the first place I went to find some great bedding is what I consider to be the best bedding source, Garnet Hill. Everything is so so cute and the style that I'm looking for.  My primary thought was to go with a grapefruit color scheme

Solid grapefruit sheets
With a duvet in this grapefruit color
all to create the grapefruit version of


It took every ounce of me to not go for that light blue bedding..

I was pretty sure about this until I came across a bedding that is so unique and beautiful but a twist on what I know I love, blue. This time, however, it would be mixed with turquoise. Love it!!


Now, the quilt is a little pricey. Dilemma. Not only would I have to pay the $268 for the quilt alone, but then the $38 shams and sheets, etc... So, I came  up with a great solution that is a combination of all of my previous design plans as well that I think ends up looking cuter than this picture above.

1. The "Turquoise Stencil" percale sheets


2. Mix and match pillows with two turquoise stencil shams

Except in turquoise, of course!
and my favorite pattern, the basis for all of this...


the Barcelona shams! :)

Great compromise, huh? Now, the only thing left that I am still on the look-out for .... either a dark blue matelasse or a solid dark blue comforter.  I want to try to stay under $150 if I can.  I have looked through The Company Store, Jonathan Adler, Dillards, Horchow, LinenSource, and of course, Garnet Hill. Plus a few other bedding sites here and there. If you know where I can get something of the sort, please please let a girl know!

So thoughts... should I stick with the grapefruit? Is there too many tones of blue for one room to handle? Where in the world can I find a great comforter/ quilt?! 

OH! & P.S. I'm also on the lookout for a great small square pillow that I can get monogrammed for the front! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment