Thursday, March 17, 2011

Printemps à Paris

Springtime in Paris!


Being Springtime, it brings back memories of my first trip to Paris. I first went to Paris when I was eight years old and the last time I went was in seventh grade. I missss it! So tonight's post is dedicated to everything Parisian, particularly everything I'm missing from Paris right now.


First - La Ladurée. This is my favorite place to hit up for some yummy desserts. Can you imagine sitting in this parlor
<><> <><> <><>
Ladurée salon

buying macaroons from this adorable counter


<><> <><> <><>
Is this real life?
devouring some of these DELICIOUS macaroons


or some of these super creative cupcakes

<><> <><> <><>
I would definitely have to make an exception to my hating any kind of cake to try that Pistaschio Griotte cupcake.  I absolutely love anything pistaschio... especially gelato! They even have a Ladurée in one of my favorite Paris department stores Printemps.


Heavenly, right? My friend Kacy makes the best macaroons of anyone I know and I'm not sure if this is her recipe, but one of the best recipes for some delcious macaroons is:

Ingredients

2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup plus 3.5 tablespoons of ground almonds
7 egg whites
A  yummy filling (meringue flavor that goes well with the type of macaroon you're making)
Flavored food coloring (such as strawberry or raspberry)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 335 degrees. Line two baking trays with parchment paper
2. Grind the almonds until very finely ground
3. Add the confectioner's sugar and process until it's in a fine powder. Make sure to remove lumps.
4. Beat the egg whites in a bowl with an electric mixer and medium speed while adding the food coloring. Beat on high until the whites hold 'stiff, glossy peaks'.
5. Quickly add the almond-sugar powder (made in steps 2 & 3)
6. Mix from center of bowl outwards to create smooth, lightly colored mixture
7. Spoon batter into piping bag (with 1/4 inch round tip) and pipe inch-wide macaroons onto baking trays (about 1.5 inches apart). Make sure to peak the batter at about the height of a Hershey's Kiss.
8. Cook for 8-9 minutes and leave oven door a little ajar
9. Remove the macaroons from the oven. Pour some water between baking tray and parchment to make it easier to lift macaroons off tray after coooling.
10. Cool completely for about 30 minutes
11. Peel macaroons from the parchment and sandwich a thin layer of filling between two of the macaroons (ganache, jam, whipped cream or marmalade)
12. Leave refrigerated for 24 hours (whipped cream macaroons must be kept in the fridge but others can be kept in a container at room temperature for about three days)


I'm not a very good cook or baker (yet at least), but I'm definitely going to have to try to make these sometime. Yuuummmm :) 

In my dream trip to Paris that I wish I were on this spring, I picture myself running around Paris in this adorble Louis Vuitton dress from his Spring 2011 collection

<><> <><> <><>
How perfectly Parisian

and Flower Field shoes, also from his Spring 2011 collection




Of course being a pretty avid traveler, I have figured out that backpacks are way more fun/way easier to carry around when you're on the go all day on vacation. That in mind, the Hervé Chapelier N918 Backpack ($108 online) would be the perfect.


I have been a huge fan of Hervé Chapelier for years and have just about every color of their shopping bags! Their inexpensive for how adorable and high-duty they are. You can get them in just about any size and any color. My first Hervé, red and pink shopping bag looks the exact same today as the day I bought it. Definitely recommend this brand!
<><> <><> <><>
CB965 Travel Bag
<><> <><> <><>
N925 Shoppng Bag

<><> <><> <><>
N19 Pencil Case

<><> <><> <><>
FF21927 Accessory Bag

So cute and so practical!   Some of my favorite Parisian shops include



Printemps
64, boulevard Haussmann
75009 Paris



Galeries Lafayette
40, boulevard Haussmann
75009 Paris

and last, but definitely the best find,


Monoprix!

It's like an upscale, French Target. They have everything from great cosmetics to cute clothing to home goods to groceries. All around one of the best shops plus they have multiple locations.

Since I cannot actually go to Paris, I will just have to settle for watching some my favorite Parisian-set movies such as
A Little Romance

Gigi

and

How to Steal a Million

Bonne journeé! 

1 comment:

  1. Tres jolly! The last time you were in Paris was 2007, so you were 16.

    ReplyDelete